Mold. You may not be able to see or smell it, yet it may be growing in your home and the reason you feel sick. Mold poisoning may be impacting your health. How do you know? In this blog, I want to cover mold illness and who is susceptible. In future blogs, I’ll cover what to do about it.
Most likely your regular doctor won’t be much help. Conventional medicine doesn’t really believe that mold exposure is a problem. Plus it can be difficult to diagnose someone with mold toxicity; it can mimic many other conditions and symptoms are nonspecific.
SYMPTOMS OF MOLD ILLNESS
Memory problems, brain fog, trouble with focus and executive function
Fatigue, weakness, post-exercise malaise and fatigue
Muscle cramping, aches and pains, joint pain without inflammatory arthritis, persistent nerve pain, “ice pick” pain
Numbness and tingling
Light sensitivity, red eyes, and/or blurred vision
Sinus problems, cough, shortness of breath, air hunger, asthma-like symptoms
Persistent nerve pain
Abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, appetite changes
Weight gain despite sufficient effort (weight loss resistance)
Night sweats or other problems with temperature regulation
See how easily mold poisoning could go unnoticed, or mistaken for other conditions? Yet 30 years of good scientific evidence points to the serious health problem that mold can cause.
The low-down on mold
Mold is a multiple type of fungi which is growing in filaments. They reproduce by forming very small spores which sprout and fly away. Places where mold grows are damp, warm, and humid, inside and outside. Even if the place where you live is dry, there can appear mold if water leaks somewhere, or if there are poorly ventilated bathrooms, or even floods. It can grow anywhere, attaching your shoes, pets, clothes, carpets, books, furniture, and papers. It can ciruclate in the air system, especially if you do not change the filters.